Prof. Dr. Matthias Kaschube
Professor for Computational Neuroscience and Computational Vision, Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics, Goethe-University, Frankfurt am Main
Fellow, Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (FIAS), Frankfurt am Main
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (FIAS), Frankfurt am Main
Lewis-Sigler Fellow and Lecturer, Lewis-Sigler Institute, Princeton University, Princeton NJ, USA
Bernstein Fellow, BCCN and MPI-DS, Göttingen
Honors and Awards
Lewis-Sigler Theory Fellowship, Lewis-Sigler Institute, Princeton University
Bernstein Fellowship (three years; declined after 6 months), Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Göttingen
Most important papers
1. Distributed network interactions and their emergence in developing neocortex. Smith GB, Hein B, Whitney DE, Fitzpatrick D*, Kaschube M*. Nature Neuroscience 2018, 21:1600-1608. *jointly directed work
2. Elucidating the control and development of skin patterning in cuttlefish. Reiter S, Hülsdunk P, Woo T, Lauterbach MA, Eberle JS, Akay LA, Longo A, Meier-Credo J, Kretschmer F, Langer JD, Kaschube M, Laurent G. Nature 2018, 562:361-366.
3. The development of cortical circuits for motion discrimination. Smith GB, Sederberg A, Elyada YM, Van Hooser SD, Kaschube M*, Fitzpatrick D*. Nature Neuroscience 2015, 18:252-261. *jointly directed work
4. Quantitative 4D analyses of epithelial folding during Drosophila gastrulation. Khan Z, Wang YC, Wieschaus EF, Kaschube M. Development 2014, 141:2895-2900.
5. Volume conservation principle involved in cell lengthening and nucleus movement during tissue morphogenesis. Gelbart MA, He B, Martin AC, Thiberge SY, Wieschaus EF, Kaschube M. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2012, 109:19298–19303.
6. Differential positioning of adherens junctions is associated with initiation of epithelial folding. Wang YC, Khan Z, Kaschube M, Wieschaus EF. Nature 2012, 484:390–393.
7. Universality in the evolution of orientation columns in the visual cortex. Kaschube M, Schnabel M, Löwel S, Coppola DM, White LE, Wolf F. Science 2010, 330:1113–1116.
8. Reorganization of columnar architecture in the growing visual cortex. Keil W, Schmidt K-F, Löwel S, Kaschube M. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2010, 107:12293–12298.
9. Pulsed contractions of an actin-myosin network drive apical constriction. Martin AC, Kaschube M, Wieschaus EF. Nature 2009, 457:495–499.
10. Interareal coordination of columnar architectures during visual cortical development. Kaschube M, Schnabel M, Wolf F, Löwel S. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2009, 106:17205–17210.